Dartford Library

A forum dedicated to haunted buildings and locations.

Site Admin

Post by kentpara » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:50 am

Dartford Library

Dartford Central Library and Museum is a library in the town centre of Dartford, Kent, England. Originally a house and gardens in the 19th century, it later became a bank known as Bank House. Thereafter, it was used as the local Conservative Club and then municipal offices, with the extensive gardens opening to the public.
The library is reportedly haunted and was featured in the popular paranormal investigation series, Most Haunted. Employees and visitors have reported being touched without explanation, senses of being watched, footsteps, strong quaint scents and have witnessed books falling off shelves in unexplained fashion despite being securely on the bookcase.

The library was opened on 1 January 1916 by A. W. Smale, Chairman of the Dartford Urban District Council, and W. A. Ward, the Chairman of the Library Committee. Its first browsers were soldiers in World War I who were staying nearby in military hospitals, recovering from wounds received while serving in the trenches. Dartford Central Library was constructed with the aid of a grant from the philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie. It was designed by Thomas E. Tiffin AMICE, the then-Dartford Urban District Council Surveyor, and built in Bath by Messrs H. Friday and Sons and Ling, using Portland and York stone.
In 1937 the library was expanded over what was once the Dartford tin works. During the Second World War its cupola dome served as an air raid watchpost. Today, Dartford Library is open weekdays from 8:30 am to 6 pm, except Thursday when it is open until 8 pm. It is run by Kent County Council.

Post by grouchmax » Thu May 08, 2014 6:00 pm

Re: Dartford Library

I saw that episode of most haunted that featured The Dartford, Library quite spooky in parts. I understand the the Bull and Vic Pub/Hotel Dartford is also meant to be haunted by a litlle girl. Perhaps see doesn't like the loud music they sometime have. I saw the info on this site http://www.hauntedexperiences.com/choos ... tels-kent/. They also featured other Kent Hotels that are supposedly haunted. It has some other useful information about that type of thing for other parts of the country as well.
Cheers
Grouchmax :)

Site Admin

Post by kentpara » Sun May 11, 2014 7:10 pm

Re: Dartford Library

Hi grouchmax welcome to the forums. Had a look at that site and the Eastwell Manor Hotel looks good and the Woolpack Inn Chilham.

Return to “Haunted Locations And Venues”